Thursday, August 26, 2010

Quentin Tarantino

Of course you know who he is. I'm the only person who doesn't think he's a genius. I know many people who counted Pulp Fiction among their favourite films. Although I found it confusing, it is a neat movie to watch. Still, all the violence? And Kill Bill has a really interesting plot, but all the violence turns me off. Of course, it's so gratuitous that it doesn't look real, but it still turns me off.

And tonight, I'm watching Inglorious Basterds. It has all the hallmarks of Tarantiino - the violence, the folky and poppy music overtop of scene montages, the noir themes, the plots that don't necessarily follow the timeline.

It's not as violence as past Tarantino films, but there are still a couple scenes that are over-the-top. Like how the "Inglorious Basterds" scalp the Nazis. Or "engrave" swastikas in the foreheads of survivors. And in the film, they appear to portray all members of the German military force as Nazis.

My very good friend's late Opa (German grandpa) served for Germany in World War II. He truly believe what he was told. From what we understand now, most Germans had no idea what was happening. So for this movie to portray all Germans in this light is ... antiquated.

Overall, I liked this movie. Although it had holes in it, it was a neat story and a neat fantasy of American "bandits" ending the war earlier.

Anyway, I just wanted to get my two cents on this movie, and just discuss my thoughts on the director who is everyone's darling. Except mine.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like Tarantino films either... Ive seen most of them, just because I happen to be in a place where they are watched... but I don't like them!

    I also dont like Tim Burton stuff... everyone seems to like him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. The violence of his films is disturbing and way too much. I won't watch Inglorious Bastards; I simply can't watch ANYTHING regarding WW2, the Nazis and the like. Believe me, I've tried, but I find it way too upsetting, it really touches a nerve, since I've lived in Germany especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie-Eve - I think it's important to watch historical documentaries or learn about the history, but it's also important to understand both sides. We (the allies) did some bad things to POWs, too. I believe it's important to recognize the average German was not a bad person. I'm not surprised you find certain things hard to watch, because society often villifies all Germans, which I also find immensely upsetting.

    Jane - I haven't seen much by Tim Burton ... but what I have seen, I didn't care for. Mind you, I don't have the same reaction with Burton as with Tarantino.

    ReplyDelete