Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer

Whilst August yet wears her golden crown,
Ripening fields lush- bright with promise;
Summer waxes long, then wanes, quietly passing
Her fading green glory on to riotous Autumn.
Michelle L. Thieme, August's Crown

It's the middle of August. I always find August mildly depressing. Yes, some of the best days of summer are still left. But yet ... the days are getting shorter and there are less hot days.

I used to spend most of my summers at the family cottage, where I could tell the time by the sun very accurately. By the time late August rolled around, the sun had changed enough that I found it difficult to be as accurate with the time. I also noted everyone's mood changed as Labour Day approached.

Now that I don't return to school, you'd think I'd be used to summers. Well, I still notice everyone's mood change as Labour Day week-end approaches. Like Victoria Day (the first Monday on/before May 2-4) is the "unofficial start of summer", we also view Labour Day (the first Monday in September) as the "unofficial end of summer".

The days are getting shorter and the heat dissipates at night. I get mildly upset by this change that signifies the approach of days when the sun sets before 5pm.

Do you get upset as the end of summer approaches?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've always felt exactly the same... Strange paradox since I love the fall. But letting go of the summer... It doesn't come so easy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do too. And the same as Marie-Eve because I do love fall as well so I find it strange. I guess because summer represents happiness and feeling carefree and I don't like to let go of that.

    ReplyDelete