Thursday, August 6, 2009

... Play ball!

Yeah, that's lame but that's the best way I could thiing of to start this blog. I mean "And they're off" doesn't fit: I've never really watched horses races. "And here we go!" reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker. I started playing baseball when I was about 9 and it was through baseball that I met my new husband. So I figured it was the best fit: "play ball" is what an umpire traditionally yells at the start of any new baseball game.

I'm not sure what this blog's going to be about. I want to be more honest in this blog than in my wedding planning blog. That being said, I don't want to hurt or offend anyone, so this won't be like a personal diary, but it may be more emotionally expressive.

As I blog, I'll find out what themes I discuss and focus on in order to determine the direction of this blog. As a newlywed (small gasp of excitement!) being married exactly two months, married life will inevitably come up. But while my marriage (another small gasp!) is very important to me, it is not the only thing in my life. I am currently searching (another) new job as my current one-year contract is coming to an end. Unfortunately, this contract will not be renewed (which I assure you is not reflective of performance, but rather other factors; it was initially likely to be renewed, but will not due to other factors). This is my third one-year contract in a row: pharmaceutical (laboratory and manufacturing), followed by government healthcare / community services, and now a public utility. The common thread has been my job is in health & safety, which is reflective of my masters degree in occupational health. Other things I may discuss will be reflective of my interests: the Olympics (in Canada in 2010!), being Canadian (eh!), being a woman, being a quasi-liberal feminist (basically I'm telling you all people are equal and deserve to be treated as such) and arts & crafts (particularly scrapbooking). I'll talk about what matters to me: my family, friends, family-friends and friends' kids. I may also tell you about my petition for oral chemotherapy in Ontario (in my country of free healthcare, sometimes things get overlooked as technologies improve but legislation is slow to catch up). But those stories and more information will be told another day!

This blog will initially be a little bit of "nesting": getting house ready for marriage life. I don't think we would have done hardly any nesting (maybe a bit of cleaning) except that we've put an offer on a house. It may not pan out but we're hopeful it does. The home is a bit bigger - not much, but enough that we'll need more furniture and more decorations to turn it from a house to a home.

What else can I tell you? ... I guess I have to leave (a little) bit to tell you later!

So let me tell leave you with an off-colour joke (not a habit of mine, but this joke was a family-tradition):

A young man was picking up a beautiful girl to go on a date. Before he went, he had to fart but thought he would hold it until later. But he was surprised when the girl invites him in to meet her father.

When he meets the father, the girl goes to finish getting ready. He is in agony trying to hold in this fart! Finally, he can’t hold it anymore, so he moves across the room to sit by the dog, hoping the dog would get blamed. He pets the dog, and lets out a bit of the fart.


The young man felt much better, and is relieved when the girl's father barked ''Duke!''

''Great!'' the young man thought to himself. ''He is blaming the dog!'' So, he lets out a little more. He felt so much better!

Once again, the girl's father shouts “Duke!''

The young man feels so much better, but he isn’t "relieved" yet. The young man just needs to get out a little more. The boy thought he was homefree so he let everything out at once in a really loud and smelly fart.

The girl's father stands up again. ''Duke, get the (h-e-double hockey sticks) out from under the a****** before he s***s all over you!!''

No comments:

Post a Comment