Friday, June 25, 2010

"I felt the Earth move under my feet"

I could have easily titled this "Shakin' All Over".

Now get that song out of your head now :)

Here in southeastern Ontario, we had an earthquake on Wednesday. Although not a large earthquake (reports range from 5.0 to 5.6 on the richter scale), it was unusual for two reasons: first, we don't get many noticeable earthquakes, and second, it could be felt in a 1000 km (600+ mile) radius. The large radius was due to the cooler rocks being a better conductor of vibrations than the warmer rockers of many earthquake regions, such as California.

We have construction out front of our building, so occasional compacting and demolition has been shaking us. At first, my co-worker and I thought it was an oddly long demolition. Then we got a call that it was an earthquake.

I admit, I was a little figuratively shook up, plus I was worried about how my dog took it. Some animals were reportedly upset. Everyone around the office was buzzing, and other office occupants who we'd never seen before "popped by" our office to see how we felt. I wasn't getting any work done, so I went home.

Princess was fine. She was just happy to see me, the exact same way she is every day when I get home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment